'Get wisdom, get insight ...' -Proverbs 4:5 / 'A joyful heart is good medicine ...' -Proverbs 17:22 / 'There is a way that seems right ... but its end is the way to death.' -Proverbs 14:12
Not Necessarily New -- but Notable (a work-in-progress)
Christian-Interest Books (alpha author)
- 'On Faith -- Lesson from an American Believer,' Scalia, Antonin; Edited by Scalia, C.J. and Whelan, E. (© 2019). A collection of the late U.S Supreme Court justice's defense for religion in the public square.
- 'Night,' Weisel, Elie (© 1958). A new translation by Weisel, Marion (© 2006). A Jewish eyewitness account of Nazi Germany.
Cultural (Missionary, Persecution, Political)
- 'Dark Agenda -- The War to Destroy Christian America,' by Horowitz, David (© 2018). The intolerant Leftist strategy to destroy Judeo-Christian values and tradition is documented by a former '60s writer and radical ('Radical Son,' 'Destructive Generation -- Second Thoughts About the '60s).
- 'The Perseuction and Genocide of Christians in the Middle East -- Prevention, Prohibition & Prosecution,' edited by Rychlak, Ronald J., Adolphe, Jane F. (© 2017). Collection of 12 essays; a primer for Christians, students of human rights, and all concerned about religious persecution.
- 'Christian Higher Education -- Faith, Teaching and Learning in the Evangelical Tradition,' edited by Dockery, David and Morgan, Christopher (© 2018).
- 'Standing Up To Goliath -- Battling State and National Teacher's Unions for the Heart and Soul of Our Kids and Country,' by Freidrichs, Rebecca (© 2018). A former Calif. teacher takes on teacher's unions that she argues use union fees and dues primarily for political agendas.
- 'The Corrupt Classroom -- Bias, Indoctrination, Violence, and Social Engineering Show Why America Needs School Choice,' by Izumi, Lance (© 2017). Exposes America's public school takeover by Leftists.
- 'Ethics,' Bonhoeffer, Dietrich (© 1949, 1955, Touchstone edition © 1995). Christians do not 'live in a vacuum,' German pastor Bonhoeffer writes, but in a world of government, politics, labor and marriage. Pro-life on the abortion issue; executed by Nazis in 1945.
- 'A Practical Exposition of the 10 Commandments,' Durham, James (new edition © 2018). A resurrected classic.
- 'Pensees,' -Pascal, Blaise. 'Pascal is one of those writers who will be and who must be studied afresh by men in every generation.' -T.S. Elliot
Christian-themed Music & Music Videos (alpha artist):
- 'Reckless Love' -Asbury, Cory, official lyric (104,736,515 YouTube views since Jan. 2018).
- 'So Will I (100 Billion X)' -Cook, Amanda, live (5,662,889 YouTube views since Aug. 2017).
- 'In Christ Alone' -Daigle, Lauren, acoustic version (11,934,688 YouTube views since 2014).
- 'Trouble No More' -Dylan, Bob, 'The Bootleg Series Vol. 13, 1979-1981' (2017). 'LA Times' review.
- 'When You Gonna Wake Up?' -Dylan, Bob; live, July 9, 1980.
- 'Do It Again' -Elevation Worship, live (19,094,355 YouTube views).
- 'Tell Your Heart to Beat Again' -Gokey, Danny (47,038,507 YouTube views since July 2015).
- 'El Shaddai' & 'Thy Word' -Grant, Amy w/Michael W. Smith, live (1,710,351 YouTube views; pbl. July 2010).
- 'Oh, Lord You're Beautiful' -Green, Keith, live (2,777,471 YouTube views since Jan. 2009).
- 'So You Wanna Go Back To Egypt' -Green, Keith (© 1979).
- 'Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)' -Hillsong United (2,763,673 YouTube views).
- 'What a Beautiful Name' -Hillsong Worship, live (317,888,226 YouTube views since Sept. 2016).
- 'Flood the Earth' -Jesus Culture (2,600,471 YouTube views since Aug. 2017).
- 'Spirit Lead Me' -Ketterer, Michael & Influence Music (6,537,268 YouTube views since Nov. 2018).
- 'I'm Listening' -McClarney, Chris (347,000 YouTube views since June 2018); from the album 'Breakthrough.'
- 'Awesome God' -Mullins, Rich w/lyrics (3,366,749 views YouTube views since Oct. 2009).
- 'God's Not Dead' -Newsboys (89,682,631 YouTube views since Jan. 2012); © 2012 Newsboys.
- 'By My Spirit' -Phillips, Leslie w/Matthew Ward; from 'Recollection,' 1987.
- 'Strength of My Life' -Phillips, Leslie w/Russ Taff; from 'Dancing With Danger,' 1984.
- 'Our God' -Tomlin, Chris (37,442,009 YouTube views since Oct. 2013), official live version.
Christian-Interest Films (Ed. note: We disuade encouraging Hollywood to produce supposed 'family films' with children (or adults) swearing in their roles, and/or containing sexually explicit or nude scenes. Walt Disney would not be happy. If the Sunday attending Christian community boycotted Hollyood in order to clean up their otherwise entertaining and inspiring films, Hollywood's financial loss would be challenging. We applaud the 'Star Wars,' series, 'The Lord of the Rings,' and 'The Chronicles of Narnia,' and most films pre-1967 as free of coarse language and nudity. By that standard, we consider the following appropriate for children and family viewing -- unless otherwise noted.
'O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called ...' -1 Timothy 6:11-12).
One final note: Not all films are Christian-themed, but sourcing facts and the truth on select topics is a godly exercise.
Non-fictional (alpha title):
- '9/11: Explosive Evidence -- Experts Speak Out (2012). Architects & Engineers: WTC towers fell to 'controlled demolition.'
- 'A Man For All Seasons' (1966), G. The uncompromising faith of Sir Thomas More ('Utopia') in the era of King Henry VIII.
- 'A Smile As Big As The Moon' (2019), PG. Hallmark true story a special-ed teacher gets his classs to NASA space camp.
- 'Beyond the Blackboard' (2011), PG. Hallmark true story of first year teacher who teaches homeless children.
- 'The Case for Christ' (2017), NR. The conversion testimony of Chicago Tribune reporter Lee Strobel. .
- 'Chariots of Fire' (1981), PG. Study of contrasting motivations to win track gold medals in the 1924 Olympics.
- 'The Elephant Man' (1980), PG. Based on life of Joseph 'John' Merrick: orphaned, deformed, beaten -- yet kind, forgiving, Christian.
- 'Evelyn' (2002), PG. True, inspiring story of divorced dad who fights in courts to get his children back from mandated boarding school.
- 'Gosnell -- The Trial of America's Biggest Serial Killer' (2018), PG-13. Fact-based trial of abortionist; caution viewing with children.
- 'I Can Only Imagine' (2018), PG. Fact-based biography of Christian songwriter Mercy Me's Bart Millard.
- 'Joni' (1980). Fact-based biography of Joni Erickson-Tada: CEO, artist, author, speaker, wife and Christian in spite of quadriplegia.
- 'Mully' (2017), NR. The true and inspiring story of Charles Mully, orphaned in Kenya and through acts of kindness, repentance and a faith in Christ lead him to become an American millionaire who returns to his homeland to help orphans.
- 'C. H. Spurgeon: The People's Preacher' (2010). In 1861 -- without a mic -- Spurgeon was preaching to 6000 people on Sunday.
- 'The Winslow Boy' (1948, 1999). A father risks all to clear his son and the family name in order 'that right be done.'
Fictonal (alpha title):
- 'The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe' (2005), PG. Excellent movie version of a C.S. Lewis classic.
- 'The Encounter' (2010). Clever faith-filled family drama about Jesus serving stranded cafe customers.
- 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' (2012), PG-13 (violence). Excellent movie version of J.R.R. Tolkien's classic hero adventure.
- 'Les Miserables' (1934, 1952, 1998). Screen adaptations of Victor Hugo's 1862 novel about a regenerated man's struggle with his accuser.